Sunday, January 4, 2009

You know it's been too long when...

While I like to tell myself I am staying in a rehab center, it Kaiser Permanente Post Acute Care Center and honestly looks like a nursing home. Patients can't stay here longer than 100 days and have to participate in therapy while they are here, but most of them are ancient recovering from a fall, stroke, or other geriatric ailment. I have nothing against the elderly, but there is something tragic about seeing people resigning to the last few years of their life.
Yesterday after lunch and pumping I was trying to decide what to do with my afternoon knowing it would be a few hours until Spencer came with Gwen. I realized I was having a sad dilemma. I said to my nurse 'X' (short for Expedito who is a twenty something guy who has a 3 month old baby boy and and who helped me wash my back when I gave myself a sponge bath at the bathroom sink that morning): "I know I have been here too long when I am trying to decide to go to BINGO or take a nap."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ROFL. Poor girl. I don't think you would have been allowed in the bingo game without a bingo troll though!
My day was uneventful too. Cady got up 7 times last night, looking for this stuffed animal or that blankie. The 7th time, she came into the living room and immediately announced, "I don't really know why Im up" Before I could ask her, "Why are you up again??" So that got that one out of the way with the first sentence. Smart kiddo.
The day then consisted of .....um a nap, which she did not take, and a bike ride around the block twice. And 2 hours of Cady controlling the remote control for the DVR.
Can't wait to meet your Gwen. Gonna have to think of who you are in relation to me and her before we arrive though. She's 4 now and knows about family trees at a base knowledge. Oh well....We'll think of something.