Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's Me!

It's me! Literally and metaphorically I am starting too be me a little more each day (new and improved with my bionic knee and clavicle). I seem to be making progress at quite a steady pace and with minimal assistance can get out of bed and use my walker to walk on over to the toilet- the first time I got to use the toilet I cried, and then I got to wash my hands with running water, and cried again....the little things we take for granted. For long distance travel (i.e. down the hall to the 'gym' or activities room where the computer is) I use a wheel chair, and while my right shoulder is a little tight, this is basically pain free (though I won't be winning any races). I am able to hold Gwen and nurse her more comfortably as my ribs heal. I should be coming home some time next week. The criteria is for me to be able to get out of bed myself and transfer to a wheel chair. I am very close to being able to do this, it is very difficult though. Imagine trying to stand up without bending your legs...very tricky. Spencer is coming early tomorrow so he can sit in on my Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy and we hope to start getting a better idea of what I might need when I do go home; what supplies and what kind of help and for how long. They are special ordering me a wheel chair because my legs are so long the foot rest is too short so my feet dangle off the edge. Instead of crutches I will likely be using the wheel chair or walker until my left leg is weight bearing (another 4-6 weeks or so).

Thank you everyone for all your love and support. Special thanks to Sandee (Spencer's Mom) for taking care of Gwen. This allowed Spencer to be with me (he stayed with me in the hospital every night and the whole time I was in Oakland, even though he was still recovering himself from the soreness of the accident). We were able to be together and focus on me being better and not have to worry about Gwen since we knew she was in good hands. I missed her, but I never worried about her. Thanks Grandma Sandee!

I am looking forward to 2009 and wish everyone a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cady and I will most likely be visiting you on Saturday if that's still ok.
Did you get the plant I sent to the hospital? They might have missed you since you moved that same day to rehab.

Karen