Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Heavy Metal

Today I had my first follow up with my orthopedic surgeon. I had an x-ray of my knee and clavicle to see how they are healing and they are doing well. I will get the rod out of the clavicle in 2 months- it is a simple outpatient surgery (like dental surgery), with another small scar on my chest. I am really glad the rod will come out because it probably causes me the most discomfort right now and it is so disturbing how it pokes out a little at the center of my chest, which is the extra little bit that the surgeon needs to pull it out (yuck!). In the x-ray the thing that looks like two paperclips is part of my bra strap :-).
The metal in my leg is there for good (unless there is some sort of problem in the future). The x-rays are really intense- even the x-ray tech remarked that I have quite a bit of metal in there. I imagined the metal to be a bit different, like a square plate screwed to the bone with 4 little screws, not s 6-8 inch piece of metal that looks like it came from The Home Depot.


It looks a bit haphazard, but my surgeon assures me that there is a method to this madness. I will have to keep the brace on my left leg (no weight bearing, i.e. no walking) for another 2 months! You can see a slight fracture in the knee cap, and my right knee cap has the same fracture. In a month that should be healed and I can take the brace off my right leg (though I don't know that this will help my mobility much). I meet with the surgeon again in 1 month. We have to drive to Oakland for these appointments, and it is quite a trek (left Gwen with my Dad who is staying with us this week). After the appointment Spencer and I went out for Chinese food just the two of us which was a treat on a few different fronts. It was nice to be out and spend time with Spencer, just the two of us.


P.S. Happy Inauguration Day! I didn't get to watch the inauguration but Gwen and I listened to most of it on the radio. What an amazing time this is for our country.

4 comments:

Ricky Paredes said...

You look like Wolverine! Glad you're doing better!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Considering all that you are doing great. I'll keep visiting and helping around the house as much as I can even if it takes you months and months to heal completely. I love you. Keep being strong. You can do this.

Keri

bb said...

I agree Ricky, it's clearly made of adamantium and I look forward to fighting crime with Ambrosia someday. She just needs a super hero name now...

Anonymous said...

Wow - it's a miracle what they can do these days. It was great to see you the other day and chat with your dad. Enjoyed getting practice diapering Gwen - such a good baby! I'd love to come down again in Feb - we can talk about when might be a good time for you. I'd be happy to care for Gwen when you have to go to the surgeon again. xoxoxo Rachel