Friday, April 24, 2009

Baby's First Road Trip

Spencer went to the CubeSat Conference at Cal Poly this week and Gwen and I went with him. This entailed a 3 hour drive to San Luis Obispo, figuring out what to do with her until time to check into our hotel, staying in the hotel, figuring out what to do with her after checking out of the hotel, and driving home. I was a little nervous about being on my own with her and out and about. There were many naps in the car; which was fine- I drove by our old house in Los Osos, and hit all the sites. Spring is a beautiful time on the Central Coast (thoug hI felt bad doing allthat driving on Earth Day). Gwen really enjoyed hanging out at Morro Rock. She was fascinted by the seagulls and their flapping and squaking and the intense salty wind. We also spent a lot of time at the park and the Health Food Store that had a changing table in the bathroom- it is horrific the lack of changing tables out there. It is interesting that I was even nervous about spending time with my baby...mobility for me wasn't an issue and she is so easily entertained! There was something really special about spending 48 hours with her non-stop and with no distractions. It could have been exhausting, but it was really pleasant (getting the stroller in and out of the car did get a little old). There was nothing else for me to do except spend time with her...totally different than being at home when I am often plotting my escape. I feel like I know her and appreciate her even more, and the greatest surprise is that it is even possible to feel this way!

3 comments:

Keri said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Unknown said...

I was supposed to be there over the weekend. Weather would have been awesome. Love the picture. Did you take it? It sounds like a good road trip! Did she get to meet the famous Dr.P? Make her introduction to the Cubesatters:)

Angelique Mattin Russell said...

Awww, congratulations on a wonderful trip with your family! I look forward to more pics! ;)