Friday, February 27, 2009

What! April 24th!?!?!

So I have been waiting for my surgeon's office to call me and tell me when I am scheduled to have the rod in my clavicle removed. They called today and his LVN is like, "So the next available appointment is April 24th".....I was like, "No there was some confusion at the last appointment about the time line, Dr. Burri thought the injury was in January, but it was December, and he wants the rod out in 3 months, which is March 20th or so." Shes like, "I know there is a note about March 20th, but April 24th is the next available surgical appointment." I am trying not to freak out (i.e. burst into tears). She then goes on to tell me how I need to go up for a pre surgical appointment 2-3 weeks before the appointment to make sure I am in good health...which I knew. And I was like, "So can that be the same day as the appointment (as I am obviosuly in good health)? "No."
She can tell I am going to lose it and says she will make the necessary appointments for an April 24th surgery and talk to Dr. Burri when he is in on Monday clarifying his note about March 20th. At least this will get me in the surgical que and if there is a cancellation they will bump me to a sooner date. After getting off the phone and taking a few deep breathes I realized it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had this stupid rod in my clavicle for an extra month....just really annoying, and not what I expected. What is more important in my recovery is being able to walk, and this ridiculous surgical time line has nothing to do with my weight bearing status. I think that March 20th note in my chart was probably Dr. Burri wanting to see me around that time to x-ray my leg and assess it so he can clear my non-weight bearing status and get me started on physical therapy. Which probably means I will have to go to Kaiser Oakland at least 3 more times...Spencer is going to love that. It means him taking a half day at work (assuming it is an afternoon appointment) and I think we tapped out his vacation time- and he just had a launch, so leaving work in the next 30 days will be a challenge for him...

Enough of the rant...this is what Gwen has to say about the whole thing:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does suck. I can almost hear you almost losing it. Well, look at the bright side. At least it gives you that much more time home with Gwen.
When we came home with Cady and shopped around for daycare, the cost of THAT was what made us lose it....money that is. hehe

Looking forward to our visit,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Hey Brosia,

Sorry about the not so good news. Sometimes the medical field can be so frustrating. I hope they get it worked out for you. If your appointment is on a day I don't have to work I'd be happy to drive you to Oakland if you want. I sometimes have Wednesdays off and occasionally a Monday or Friday. As usual please don't hesitate to ask me for anything. That what friends are for. And, thank you for the sweet card you sent me. I'm happy to hear you appreciate what little I have been able to do for you. I love you forever and will give you as much support as I can.

Hugs.
Keri

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you need a ride - my schedule is pretty flexible these days. :)

Angelique Mattin Russell said...

Well...on the bright side, it will be much easier for me to visit in April than it would be in March so I can help with Gwen while you heal. If you're able to get it done sooner I may still be able to make it with very little notice as long as it's not a Monday or Tuesday (I can't miss a full work week).

That picture of Gwen is so precious!

Anonymous said...

Poo! Leave it to Brosia to keep it on the bright side though. Are you still having the Chocolate Stitch & Bitch party? See you tuesday doll. xoxoxo Rachel

Anonymous said...

Brosia It's Rachel. I got super lost - am in SF Public Library - had nervous breakdown and decided to just go home. SO SORRY! I don't have a phone can't find a pay phone library won't let me use theres. Will call you soon.