Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Dentist isn't scary

Gwen had a dentist appointment this morning, her second one. We have been talking about it since the day before and talking about what would happen, and how the dentist's special tooth brush will buzz, and it might be loud and tickle, but wouldn't hurt. And how the dentist will look to see how beautiful her teeth are, and maybe put a little fluoride on them ,which is like medicine to keep them strong, and then she would get a new toothbrush! Gwen was very excited (she loves brushing her teeth). We were even on time to the appointment, which is a first, I don't think I have been on time for anything since birthing Graham on his due date. But as soon as the dentist (Dr. Mary M.Dini, DDS with Remington Dental Group) walked into the lobby to greet us, Gwen started to freak out (I think it was the dentist's smock and face mask, which she had pulled down under her chin, but still). I realize now we should have been early so we could orient ourselves before jumping in to the whole thing (and next time I will leave Graham at home- poor little guy just wanted to nap). Gwen was super upset, but we powered through with her sitting on my lap, and me stroking her hair while the dentist did her brief exam. The disposable glove balloon really helped. The dentist was able to clean Gwen's teeth, and floss them (which blew my mind). She passed on the fluoride saying she didn't want to upset Gwen anymore and end on a high note instead, which I appreciated. Gwen was super happy to be able to pick out her own toothbrush, and while she was super satisfied with that, she also got to pick out a toy (she picked a pencil). On the walk to the car she said it wasn't scary and that her teeth are clean now, and couldn't stop talking about her new toothbrush and her pencil and how she needed paper to draw on. Painful at first, but an overall success. In 6 months the dentist wants to put sealant on her molars (which have super deep grooves).....they blocked 45 minutes for the appointment- yikes!

1 comment:

TweedleDea said...

YAY for Gwen! Trixie's first appointment was horrible, much screaming and mostly me holding her upside down so they could get a peek while she screetched. It was horrible, and I wouldn't have forced the issue, but I had some concerns. The next time she was okay with it. I think she's going to be okay for the next, but Hudson will be going too, sometimes he is like a little bit of reverse peer pressure for her. About flossing, they showed me how to do it and now Trixie loves it, Hudson even lets me do it because he sees Sister doing it!