Monday, December 1, 2008

2 Month Check Up, What a Big Girl!

Gwen had her 2 month check up today- right on schedule as she is officially now 2 months old. She weighed in at 13 lbs 5 oz which is in the 97% percentile and is an increase of over a pound since I had her weighed 11/20. Needless to say I think I don't need to worry about a supply issue with my milk anymore!!!

Her pediatrician asked about what the hardest thing about being a parent was and I said the lack of sleep (and burst into tears)- which opened the door to talking about how much sleep the baby gets. Gwen cried almost the whole time during the appointment and hearing about her sleep schedule (or lack there of) and seeing her hysterical for no reason diagnosed her as overtired and gave us paperwork on how to sleep train her (not something you usually do until 3 or 4 months). Now that we have breastfeeding down, and are feeding on demand, we need to figure out how to coordinate that with a sleep schedule.... in the long run this will make everyone's life easier, but it is going to be a big challenge, and require a lot of discipline on my part especially (since I run the milk factory). I got to say, at 4am I am guilty of doing what is easiest (letting her fall asleep with me in bed after nursing). I have been going off the philosophy that you can't spoil a baby so little, but she is becoming such a big girl and rather than just caring for her and her needs, we are actually going to have to start parenting her. I didn't quite see the difference until today and it makes me a little sad realizing, already, that our little girl is growing up.

After our lecture on how to get the baby to sleep more, we had to get her shots. There is a separate department for this Pediatric Injections, and all these ladies do is shoot up babies all day long...I don't know how they sleep at night (I imagine to the sound of babies crying ringing in their ears). There is a lot of controversy around vaccinations, but we decided to go for it considering the diverse community we live in with people coming and going from all over the world. Gwen got her 2 month vaccines which include an oral vaccine for Rotavirus, a shot in one thigh for Hepatitus B part 2 (she had the first in the hospital), another shot in the thigh of Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, and in the other thigh a combo of Diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis (DTaP) (and possibly the polio one too- I would have to double check our notes). Needless to say this was a challenging trip to the doctors office and we are all glad we don't have to go back until she is 4 months!

No comments: