Thursday, February 17, 2011

Toddler Crushes Baby While Mom Showers

Graham was happily playing in his exersaucer, and Gwen was watching one of her favorite PBS Kids shows, and I thought what a great opportunity to take a quick shower. Not long after I get started washing my hair I hear Graham crying a sort of WTF kind of cry. And I call out, "Hey Gwen, how is it going out there?" "Fine." Then his cry of annoyance turns into cry of pain. "Gwen, what is going on out there?" as I am quickly trying to dry off with conditioner still in my hair. I walk into the living room and she is straddling him in the exersaucer! She is stuck with one leg in and one leg out. I try and pull her out and it makes Graham cry more like he is really being hurt. I get a little panicky, and pry her out. I reprimand her for doing something we have asked her repeatedly not to do (i.e. climb into the exersaucer) and tell her to look at Graham, how he has a red mark on his face, and how he is crying because she hurt him. I tell her to kiss him on the head and say she is sorry. Graham is apparently ok, so I put him in the pak n play (where he has some toys to play with) in the bedroom and shut the door (which has a childproof thingy on the knob so she can't get to him). She was upset that I basically took Graham away from her and I told her it was because I couldn't trust her not to hurt him. And then I got back in the shower and we moved on with our morning. I know she didn't mean to hurt him and I know she is only two...but man, I didn't realize one of my new jobs was to keep the toddler from accidentally killing the baby!

This is usually how they play together:

No comments: