Friday, January 28, 2011

Learning about the Potty

Gwen has been learning about the potty since she was 1 year old. It has been all her- I have introduced the idea, but every time I get a little too excited she pushes back, so we have been following her lead. She made significant progress this past summer when she decided she preferred to be naked and she has been diaper free at home for months now (except sleep time). Well the last few weeks she has been wearing training pants when we leave the house, and most of the time she is dry and using the potty while we are out. Yesterday she insisted on wearing underwear for her nap. I let her and she woke up crying because she peed (about the same time she usually wakes up so I think she is waking because she is peeing- same with at night, hence the not sleeping through the night). We are so close, and it is so tempting to do something to 'help' her over these last few hurdles, but I remind myself Gwen will do things on her own timeline, and I should continue to follow her lead. So I will continue to ask her each morning if she would like a pull up or diaper, and remind myself she is not even two and a half.

1 comment:

Keri said...

WOW a double post! Awesome. She seems to be very interested in what others are doing around her. I think she asked me what I was doing about 50 times in 24 hours. I bet she'll be using the potty all the time real soon. How nice for you not to have to wash and change so many diapers.