Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Road Trip to SoCal and Back

Last weekend we visited some of our SoCal family and friends. It took us 8 hours to drive to my Aunt's house in Orange County- Gwen was a trooper. We had a great visit with my Aunt Pam and Uncle Tom, and cousins Denise and Warren. My sister Angel arranged for a cookout on the beach (Corona del Mar) with all of us and her inlaws Chris and Larry (they even had a veggie burger for me :-) Gwen did great at the beach and really enjoyed picking up the sand and letting it fall between her fingers- and sneaking a mouthful every now and then! My Dad was really excited to see Gwen again and had a great time trying to entertain her (not difficult as she is easily amused). We have some great pictures of Angel's dogs and Gwen, but they are trapped on Spencer's iphone. I will post later about Gwen's obsession with dogs. Spencer flew back Sunday for work and I hung around for another few days visiting with friends and family. I went to Newport Beach to visit my old coworker Sunshine and her little baby boy (I hadn't seen her since our wedding!). And I visited with our friends the Turner's and their 18 month old and 3 year old. Gwen had a great time playing with them! I drove home just me and Gwen in 2 days. It took 5 hours to drive from Orange County to Santa Maria where I stayed overnight with my friend Malia's parents (Kai and Mary who are so much fun!). The next day it again took 5 hours almost exactly to drive the rest of the way home. Gwen slept almst the whole time both days (2 hour nap, stop for diaper change and lunch, play in car, nap until we got home)! She was such a good little traveler. But then she came down with a nasty cold...so that might have been why she was so sleepy.

3 comments:

Angelique Mattin Russell said...

Gwen is so big and verbal! She made lots of noises that sounded like words (like 'baba' when she had banana and 'da-da-gie' around the dogs), and she repeats back certain syllables when you speak them to her, and she clearly loves this mock conversation.

A lot of these might have been coincidental gibberish, but at the very end of the trip when we were waving goodbye she waved and very distinctively said 'bye!' That really made my month. :)

Keri said...

It sounds like you two ladies had a really successful trip. I'm impressed with your courage to drive all the way back by yourself. That's a long time with baby in the car. Glad it all went well.

I can tell she was reaching for the camera in the last picture. She did that when I was taking photos of her too.

daffodil_duck said...

Wow, Gwen is such a little girl now, hardly a baby anymore. I got your nice voicemail - maybe we can have a visit some monday in Sept. Your bday is coming up - any plans? Lemme know, look forward to seeing you soon xoxoxox :-) Rachel